Tag Archive: Durham Cathedral

Medieval remains uncovered near Durham University

Richard III Skull

Four human skulls, thought to date back to medieval times, have been uncovered near Durham University. A team of archaeologists and builders made the discovery while carrying out work for the development of the university’s Palace Green Library, which this summer was home to the Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition. Construction work has now been halted to…

Durham Cathedral is voted top UK landmark

Durham Cathedral

Magnificent Durham Cathedral has been named the UK’s number one landmark in a poll of world travellers. The 900-year-old World Heritage Site triumphed in the inaugural Travellers’ Choice Attractions awards, organised by Trip Advisor. The towering Norman construction triumphed over Edinburgh’s Camera Obscura and World of Illusions, with its awe-inspiring views of the Scottish capital…

Oldest European Medieval Cookbook Found

A 12th-century manuscript contains the oldest known European Medieval food recipes, according to new research. The recipes, which include both food and medical ointment concoctions, were compiled and written in Latin. Someone jotted them down at Durham Cathedral’s monastery in the year 1140. It was essentially a health book, so the meals were meant to…

Rooms to rent in an ancient castle in Durham

Durham Castle

The 11th-century Durham Castle is benefitting from a £5-million refurbishment – and now offers holiday accommodation within its ancient walls. The UNESCO World Heritage Site in north-east England is home to Durham University’s oldest college and its rooms are available to rent for bed and breakfast during the university’s vacation times. There are now 40…

Sacred mysteries: London’s hidden medieval priory

In one of the heaviest raids of the Blitz, on the night of Saturday, May 11, 1941, incendiaries set fire to a remarkable medieval survival in central London: the Charterhouse. The chapel was saved, thanks to a timely shutting of the door from the cloisters, but the ranges around the quadrangles called Master’s Court and…